This is a very powerful video spearheaded by Mic.com, piggy-backing off of the #Blacklivesmatter movement. Celebrities came together to speak out about ’23 Ways You Could Be Killed If You Are Black In America.’ Many A-listers came through to show their support for this movement – Beyonce, Rihanna, Alicia Keys, Chris Rock, Kevin Hart, Taraji P. Henson, Common, Queen Latifah, Adam Levine, Lenny Kravitz, Bono, Pink, Jada Pinkett-Smith, Jennifer Hudson and more. The video was a derivative of Mic.com writer, Jamilah King’s original posted article, ’23 Everyday Actions Punishable by Death If You’re Black in America.’
Check out the video below:
Excerpt from Mic.com:
On Monday, Alicia Keys organized dozens of America’s highest profile black celebrities to make a powerful statement about black lives and to speak out against the unacceptable normalcy of police brutality. In an original video for Mic based on the piece, “23 Everyday Actions Punishable by Death if You’re Black in America,” Keys, along with Beyoncé, Rihanna, Common, Chris Rock, Taraji P. Henson and so many more each describe a mundane, everyday action that can get you killed if you happen to wake up black in America.
All of the things listed on this list seem very trivial, and absolutely unbelievable that blacks are dying at an alarming rate for such minuscule things.
Here is an incomplete list of actions that could get you killed if you’re black in America:
1. Selling CDs outside of a supermarket.
2. Selling cigarettes outside of a corner store.
3. Walking home with a friend.
4. Missing a front license plate.
5. Wearing a hoodie.
6. Riding a commuter train.
7. Holding a fake gun in a park in Ohio.
8. Holding a fake gun in a Walmart in Ohio.
9. Holding a fake gun in Virginia.
10. Holding a fake gun in Washington, D.C.
11. Calling for help after a car accident.
12. Driving with a broken brake light.
13. Attending a Bible study class.
14. Failing to signal a lane change.
15. Walking away from police.
16. Walking toward police.
17. Running to the bathroom in your apartment.
18. Walking up the stairwell of your apartment building.
19. Sitting in your car before your bachelor party.
20. Holding your wallet.
21. Making eye contact.
22. Attending a birthday party.
Join the movement at WeAreHereMovement.com.